New Moon in Cancer – July 12th 2018
Tonight the new moon enters the sign of Cancer. In astrology the moon concerns instincts, emotions, and intuition, making new and full moons auspicious times for divination. In fact, there are many astrologers who view the moon as the gateway to the unconscious, exactly the part of our mind we want to access with an oracle.
The moon occupies its natural home when it’s in Cancer, since the moon is the planet that rules this zodiac sign. And since Cancer concerns receptivity, sensitivity, and imagination, it multiplies the moon’s mystical focus on our deep knowing.
New moons are all about beginnings, opportunities that break fresh ground, and recharging before the next cycle of events begins. Within many pagan traditions, it’s a time for ritual. I think one of the best ways to renew yourself is to tap into your inner wisdom. And what better way to do this than by trying out a new divination technique?
There’s another reason that an oracle is particularly appropriate during this new moon. That’s because it’s also the time of a partial solar eclipse. Although this eclipse barely reaches southern Australia, lessening its impact, it still indicates the need to check in with areas of our lives that need to change.
Whenever the moon moves into the sign of Cancer, there’s a big shift from the restless energy of Gemini to the laid-back character of this cardinal water sign. This transition also involves movement from the “airy” concerns of self-expression to more mellow, loving vibes. My suggestion for a divination that’s perfectly suited for this New Moon involves relaxing in a tubful of water. I think it’s perfectly suited to this particular new Moon. To get started, just ask yourself what your new moon wishes are? What do you hope the universe will show you under this Cancer new moon?
Candles: Light Illumines the Water
This divination is a special treat, perhaps the most sensual in my book The World is Your Oracle . The short ritual described here uses sensory restriction, which cuts you off from your surroundings and draws your focus inward. Here is a short version of the steps:
- Formulate your question.
- Place candles around your bathtub and light them. Depending on your question, you could use red candles (for passion), orange (playfulness), yellow (happiness), green (growth), blue (peace), violet (spirituality), white (innocence), black (mystery), brown (stability), gold (abundance), silver (psychic abilities), pink (love), or turquoise (health). If you have your own associations with these colors, that’s even better.
- Slip into the water and ground and center.
- Ask your question in a whisper.
- Lean back and relax in this magical environment. Feel the warmth of the water, listen to it splash against the tub, watch the candlelight reflecting off it, and let your mind drift for 10 minutes.
- Return to your question and see what insights have arrived.
- Interpret your oracle.
I’ll be demonstrating this technique on my YouTube channel. Subscribe here [Add link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQwG6qrMFV8xZKF0nwf6IPw]
If you try this divination technique, leave a comment, letting me know how it worked for you.